Thimphu City picked up six points in its quest to defend its title so far. Along the way Ngawang’s boys have smashed 17 goals in two games, with 10 of them coming against Gelephu FC last night. Phurpa Tshering shares his thoughts about our recent victory.
1. Best squad. The depth of the squad is excellent. There is cover in every position. For example Sonam Tenzin, who has not been the first choice right back, played today and performed excellently. If City rests their first choice players and play with bench eleven, I think City would still easily beat half of the teams in the league.
2. New role for Nima Wangdi. So far so good for an attacking right back now converted to a defensive midfielder. He will go unnoticed in many games but the role he plays is vital for the team. He enables the likes of Orgyen and Karma Shedrup to go and attack without having to worry about the defending. Good in possession and quick in seeing things, he is already excelling in his new position.
3. New comers not good enough. The champions of district leagues are one level below in terms of quality. It is difficult for any newly promoted teams but the difference in the standard is huge. The physicality, tactically and even mentally the newcomers have lots of work to be done.
4. Nima Tshering a hungry man. He came on as a substitute and boy he looked hungry. Kept running, closing the opponent and looking for space every time. Netted a thumping goal as well. It could be a big season for the young striker.
5. Karma and Orgyen combo. Karma Shedrup and Orgyen are bossing the midfield area. Both are excellent in possession, physically strong, mentally ready and technically gifted. Now the duo is on a scoring spree. Games are won and lost in the midfield. I don’t see any other midfield in the league better than the duo at the moment. So far so good.
17 goals against two newly promoted sides is good but the real test is against the established clubs. The real test begins from the next match. Let’s wait and see.
The article is contributed by the writer. Views expressed does not necessarily represent the position of Thimphu City Football Club.